The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Summilux 80/1.4 vs Rokinon 85/1.4

tdong

Just a quick test to see how Rokinon shine agaist Summilux. Rokinon is really good at f1.4 to f2 at f2.8 the Leica became micro contrast sharpness. The bokeh I have to say the Rokinon is very very good even better than the Leica. What do you think ?.

click on image for full file.

f1.4

Rokinon

Leica

f2

Rokinon

Leica

f2.8

Rokinon

Leica

f4

Rokinon

Leica

f5.6

Rokinon

Leica

R

Ranger 9

Is the Rokinon the same manual-focus lens sold in the US under such brand names as Vivitar and Bower?

If so, it's good to know that the Rokinon performs well... although I have a hard time imagining the typical Leica owner sitting around thinking, "Hmmm... should I use my Summilux or my Rokinon? Decisions, decisions..."

Kudos to you for being open-minded enough to make the comparison!

tdong

Hi Ranger

Yes Rokinon, Vivitar, Bowers, Samyang they are all the same. I will still use the leica it very well build and feel good in the hand. The different is very mininal just like Toyota vs Ferrari they all have to run at 100km/h :). Other people test vs Carl zeiss 85mm point to the same conclusion that this korean lens is actually very good value for the money and rival many other lens. Except in flare control but for portrait not that many people shooting against the sun

tdong

Now the question is does Leica worth 10x the cost use price as of now ? I wouldn't buy it now but since I already have it I will just keep it :). Will test the Elmarit 9/2.8 agaist Rokinon tomorrow

Leica bad bokeh at f1.4 look at the circle

Rokinon bokeh look better at 1.4

Leica improve at f2

Rokinon

Leica at f2.8

Rokinon