Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

I think I read somewhere on FM that it can be done. Not too long ago, I think I saw a guy trigger his camera with a remote and a pocket wizard attached to his Canon camera. Can someone give me some information on how this is done? What's the advantage of using a pocket wizard to trigger a camera instead of using one of the Ebay wireless triggers?

May 09, 2010 at 10:23 AM
andrew81
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

are you taking the piss?

http://www.pocketwizard.com/focus/sports/

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1355

If you are serious. Yes PW's will trigger a camera. You need to buy what is called a "pre trigger" cable that goes from receiver PW to camera.
Why do we use them? Because they work, all of the time, every time, anywhere and over a LONG range. eBay triggers don't...

May 09, 2010 at 10:28 AM
picfox
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

lsquare wrote:
I think I read somewhere on FM that it can be done. Not too long ago, I think I saw a guy trigger his camera with a remote and a pocket wizard attached to his Canon camera. Can someone give me some information on how this is done? What's the advantage of using a pocket wizard to trigger a camera instead of using one of the Ebay wireless triggers?

http://www.pocketwizard.com/

May 09, 2010 at 10:28 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

I prefer the eBay triggers over my Pocket Wizards. Why? The eBay triggers allow half pressing the shutter to AF and then full pressing for shutter release (no permanent half pressed), the trigger receiver can be used standalone as a cable release, the trigger support bulb operations (press and hold once to open shutter, press a second time to close shutter), and the complete eBay remote package (transmitter and receiver) costs 1/2 the price of just the cable for the Pocket Wizard.

The only advantage I see of the PW is range. I see about 100 yards of range from eBay trigger. If you need to go longer you might need to go to PW.

May 09, 2010 at 02:04 PM
andrew81
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

Paul C Buff Cyber Sync's do an awesome job as well.

I have some eBay RF-602 radio triggers with camera trigger cable and they work well. I use them more than PW's because you just slide them onto the hot shoe and away you go.

The PW's (unless you have a 580EXII) need you to have another hot shoe adapter so you can plug the PW into it.

PW are the best, there is no question, but not the only solution to a problem. They (PW) also make TTL triggers which are smaller and do TTL triggering.

May 09, 2010 at 09:16 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

andrew81 wrote:
are you taking the piss?

http://www.pocketwizard.com/focus/sports/

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1355

If you are serious. Yes PW's will trigger a camera. You need to buy what is called a "pre trigger" cable that goes from receiver PW to camera.
Why do we use them? Because they work, all of the time, every time, anywhere and over a LONG range. eBay triggers don't...

Yes, it's a serious question. I don't understand what's with your hostile attitude.

I just did a search on Google and I see the PCB Cybersync. It looks small, which is nice, but there is no hot shoe slot, which means kind of sucks. What if I want to add a bubble level to the camera? Also, won't the PCB need a cable to attach to the camera in order to trigger it?

It seems like the FlexTT5 will do the trick, but I'm not sure. Can you verify this for me? If I use the FlexTT5, I can add a flash or a bubble level to it. It doesn't seem to be too big. So would I just attach one of the PW cables to the FlexTT5 and to the camera?

I'm not sure if the MiniTT1 will work since it's not a transreceiver.

May 10, 2010 at 05:24 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

lsquare wrote:
It seems like the FlexTT5 will do the trick, but I'm not sure. Can you verify this for me? If I use the FlexTT5, I can add a flash or a bubble level to it. It doesn't seem to be too big. So would I just attach one of the PW cables to the FlexTT5 and to the camera?

I'm not sure if the MiniTT1 will work since it's not a transreceiver.

The FlexTT5 does permit remote triggering, with the appropriate cable. The one from PW is outrageously expensive, something like $90, nearly half the cost of a TT1. It's just a f***ing cable. That's the only reason why I refuse to buy one. It's not that I can't afford it; it's that I refuse on the principle. I'm sure there are knockoff cables but I haven't heard much about them.

The MiniTT1 is transmitter-only. It *might* be usable as the remote, rather than the receiver, but don't take my word for it. In any case, a FlexTT5 must be connected to the camera via a cable for remote triggering using the ControlTL system.

The reason why the TT1 exists is not merely because it's small--it is also because it is lighter. The TT5 is powered by 2 AAs. Put a TT5 + Speedlite on a 5D, 1D, or 1Ds body, and it gets heavy fast.

I've found that in the world of RF transceivers, there currently is no satisfactory solution. Canon should just integrate it, instead of relying on line-of-sight methods.

May 10, 2010 at 05:44 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

wickerprints wrote:
The FlexTT5 does permit remote triggering, with the appropriate cable. The one from PW is outrageously expensive, something like $90, nearly half the cost of a TT1. It's just a f***ing cable. That's the only reason why I refuse to buy one. It's not that I can't afford it; it's that I refuse on the principle. I'm sure there are knockoff cables but I haven't heard much about them.

The MiniTT1 is transmitter-only. It *might* be usable as the remote, rather than the receiver, but don't take my word for it. In any case, a FlexTT5 must be connected to the
...Show more

I don't think PW is alone in this. Lots of companies tries to rip us off with expensive cables.

May 10, 2010 at 06:09 AM
hsk06
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

Yes, you can use your TT5 attatched to camera with/without flash. Then buy the expensive cable, connect it from the P on your tt5 to camera. I paid $75 for the cable 2 yrs ago.
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/cable_accessory/38/CM-N3-P/
Note that the Rebel uses different cable.

Note, in order to use the TT5 on the remote camera, you have to set it to receiver mode and DISABLE the transmiter mode (on your computer with the utilities). Otherwise, when you connect it to the camera, it thinks that it should be in transmit mode and won't work.

No you can't use tt1 on your remote camera since it only can transmit.

You can use it in your hand to trigger the tt5/plusII on camera, but it will run out of battery real quick since it requires a lot of current for the pulse. So, don't use it. Buy an other TT5 or Plus II for your trigger.

hope this helps

May 10, 2010 at 06:42 AM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

Thank you for your explanations, hsk06, I was also wondering how the remote triggering would work with the TT5!
Claude

May 10, 2010 at 09:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hsk06
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

Forgot to menstion that if you want to use the ettl on your tt5 in camera-flash relay mode, you need to buy the newer model cable:
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/cable_accessory/cameracables/cm-n3-acc/
Yes, it's kind of expensive, but don't go cheap since the cable usually is the weak point in the system.

May 10, 2010 at 04:38 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

hsk06 wrote:
Yes, you can use your TT5 attatched to camera with/without flash. Then buy the expensive cable, connect it from the P on your tt5 to camera. I paid $75 for the cable 2 yrs ago.
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/cable_accessory/38/CM-N3-P/
Note that the Rebel uses different cable.

Note, in order to use the TT5 on the remote camera, you have to set it to receiver mode and DISABLE the transmiter mode (on your computer with the utilities). Otherwise, when you connect it to the camera, it thinks that it should be in transmit mode and won't work.

No you can't use tt1 on your remote camera since it
...Show more

How's that any different from the TT1 being attached to the hot-shoe of a camera? Won't it run out of battery power fast as well if you were to use it regularly?

Ok, so I guess there are no high quality third-party cables from Ebay that will work?

Can the TT5 connected to a 5D Mark II work with auto-bracketing? Say I attach the 5D mark II somewhere with the TT5 attached. Then while I stand away, I trigger the TT5 with another TT5?

May 10, 2010 at 11:38 PM
andrew81
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

The TT series from PW are not designed with camera triggering in mind. They are for TTL triggering which is what you would buy one for really. Multimaxes are the business for camera triggering.

if you want to trigger a camera, get the PCB cyber syncs. 1/3 the price of PW's and work just the same.

I wasnt being hostile, I was suprised that a google search didnt give you results as I found loads when I typed in key words and read the PW site.

What's the purpose of you triggering the camera wirelessly?

May 12, 2010 at 06:50 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

andrew81 wrote:
The TT series from PW are not designed with camera triggering in mind. They are for TTL triggering which is what you would buy one for really. Multimaxes are the business for camera triggering.

if you want to trigger a camera, get the PCB cyber syncs. 1/3 the price of PW's and work just the same.

I wasnt being hostile, I was suprised that a google search didnt give you results as I found loads when I typed in key words and read the PW site.

What's the purpose of you triggering the camera wirelessly?

What makes you think that the TT series are unsuitable for camera triggering?

May 12, 2010 at 09:42 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

lsquare wrote:
Won't it run out of battery power fast as well if you were to use it regularly?

This is another reason to consider the eBay units over the PWs. PW units are first and foremost flash triggers. They do a fantastic job at this task. But shutter release is sort of hacked in with cables. The eBay units are designed to provide the remote equivalent of placing your finger on the shutter release. As a result items such as AF, bulb, and bracketing work close to how they do without the remote trigger.

May 12, 2010 at 03:56 PM
Drew_Persson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

Be sure you test your PW pre-trigger soon as you get it, I bought two and one didn't work. It was brand-new, but I didn't open the package for quite awhile and their customer service told me I was out of luck.

I'm still ticked off, the item was clearly brand-new and had all the packaging and everything. If I broke it, I think it would be pretty obvious. $100 down the tubes...grrrrrrr.

May 13, 2010 at 04:38 AM
systemlayers
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

Whats a good ebay unit to buy?

May 13, 2010 at 04:41 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

jerrykur wrote:
This is another reason to consider the eBay units over the PWs. PW units are first and foremost flash triggers. They do a fantastic job at this task. But shutter release is sort of hacked in with cables. The eBay units are designed to provide the remote equivalent of placing your finger on the shutter release. As a result items such as AF, bulb, and bracketing work close to how they do without the remote trigger.

Thx for the information, but are you saying that the TT units will not work well triggering the cameras?

One of the reasons why I want a PW is because I can reuse the unit for my flash. I don't want to go out and purchase dedicated equipment if a PW will work to trigger a camera even when it's in auto bracket mode.

I fail to understand how a PW will not do what I want. There does not seem to be a compelling reason why a PW is a poor choice to use as a camera trigger.

May 16, 2010 at 04:37 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can a pocket wizard be used to trigger a camera?

lsquare wrote:
Thx for the information, but are you saying that the TT units will not work well triggering the cameras?

One of the reasons why I want a PW is because I can reuse the unit for my flash. I don't want to go out and purchase dedicated equipment if a PW will work to trigger a camera even when it's in auto bracket mode.

I fail to understand how a PW will not do what I want. There does not seem to be a compelling reason why a PW is a poor choice to use as a camera trigger.

With the right cables it will work. But for 1/3 the price of the cable alone you could have a dedicated shutter release that would work better and still be able to use the PW units to drive your flashes. I have the PW Mini TT1 and some TT5s and do not use them to as shutter releases.

As I stated earlier I prefer the wireless shutter triggers. Why? Because they operate in the same manner as pressing the shutter release with your finger. I want to determine when the camera focuses and not have the cable place the camera in focusing mode all the time and wear down the batteries. I want to be able to perform bulb operations. I want to use the remove trigger release at the same time I use PWs to drive the flashes.

May 16, 2010 at 01:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password