Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2009 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Beverly Guhl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Just an fyi!!! I got an email from this guy and I had a funny feeling about it so I told him I was not available. I did some checking and it's a total scam. Hre's a link on another forum showing the same email! see: http://tinyurl.com/y9q3pmm He's targeting PPA members for now, but who's next? This is a full time job of spammers.

Date: November 21, 2009 6:36:10 AM CST
Subject: PHOTOGRAPHIC SERVICE REQUEST

Greetings! .
My name is Joe and my wife's name is Pamela, we live and work as wine producers in Malaysia and will be relocating to the State of Texas,USA on the 20th of December,2009.
Could you please spare a few seconds to view our website : www.whqt.org
I came across your contact information on ppa.com and I hereby write to request if you will be available to offer 4hours of photographic services for the celebration of our 5th Wedding Anniversary on our arrival to the States. Myself,my wife,my lovely daughter-Debbie and about 12 family members and friends will be present.

Could you please provide answers to these questions if you are interested in this offer
1)Will you be available to provide this service on any date between December 22nd and December 31st if so which exact date will you have time so as to include this in our plan?
2)What is your address location so as to estimate how close you are to us ?

Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me on my phone no :01160173305450

Regards,
Joe J Akins
Winery Headquarters
92 Jalan Keranji,
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

Nov 23, 2009 at 04:00 AM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

What makes it a scam?

Nov 23, 2009 at 04:28 AM
shatterkiss
• • • •
p.1 #3 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

It's a very common scam. Next step is generally where they say they'll send either a check, wire transfer or Western Union of a dollar amount that exceeds your fee for the job, then ask you to pass the balance on to some third party for their fees. Your outbound payment leaves before your bank realizes that the deposit is fraudulent, so now you're on the hook for the money you sent out to the scammer. They regularly target photographers, models, makeup artists. I probably get one of these a month or so.

Nov 23, 2009 at 04:30 AM
Andrew Wood
• •
p.1 #4 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Kuching is about one degree north of the equator, on the tropical-rainforested island of Borneo. Not exactly wine-growing country, I'd have thought. My wife, who's Malaysian, laughed out loud when I told her about the letter.

Nov 23, 2009 at 05:10 AM
skyvan
• • •
p.1 #5 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

This kind of scam is common in all types of venues. If you ever try to sell a car online through Craigslist I GAURANTEE you will get someone contacting you via TTY (phone for the deaf) offering money in excess of the value of the car via money order and telling you to just give a few hundred bucks to the person who picks up the car and keep the extra. This is why people require USPS Money Orders, because for some reason they are less often used in these scams I presume because of the anti-fraud measures. Also this a reason why you should always require payment in the exact amount you ask for if payment is via money order or cashiers check, no more no less, it just leads you in to a scam like this person was trying to pull over on Beverly.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM
joebee
• •
p.1 #6 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

shatterkiss wrote:
It's a very common scam. Next step is generally where they say they'll send either a check, wire transfer or Western Union of a dollar amount that exceeds your fee for the job, then ask you to pass the balance on to some third party for their fees. Your outbound payment leaves before your bank realizes that the deposit is fraudulent, so now you're on the hook for the money you sent out to the scammer. They regularly target photographers, models, makeup artists. I probably get one of these a month or so.

I get these too.

I received a variation for a Craig's List ad for a couple of RM90 filters I have. I told the party I would ship with PayPal only. I then received some emails trying to get me to ship with a link to a spoofed PayPal site. You need to only look at the real PayPal.com site.

I had figured that by limiting to PayPal I would get rid of the scammers. They have an answer for those who aren't paying attention.

Joe

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM
shatterkiss
• • • •
p.1 #7 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

skyvan wrote:
This is why people require USPS Money Orders, because for some reason they are less often used in these scams I presume because of the anti-fraud measures.

No, I believe it's something to do with how most US banks handle international wire transfers and check deposits - they'll show a funds deposit to your account after 48 hours or whatever, but it takes significantly longer to receive the actual funds from the issuing foreign bank...as long as 2 weeks, depending on what country the transfer comes from. So by the time they've realized that the issuing account is invalid or the check has been laundered or whatever you've already passed your money on to someone else, since you saw the deposit hit your account. And when your bank is told that the deposit was fraudulent they simply debit it back out of your balance.

Not an issue with Money Orders, as they function like Traveler's Checks...they represent the bank's obligation to pay, not the private individual's obligation to pay.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #8 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I have had folks send me checks overnight, and then contact me a few days later. Last time I received a check for $5500 made from a business. The business address was about an hour south of me, but the UPS overnight letter was mailed from out of the country. A quick call revealed that the business closed about a year ago. The really funny thing is that the next letter was asking about the car I had for sale?

Nov 23, 2009 at 01:23 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #9 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Clark Howard has warned small business owners about this kind of scam for a long time. Check http://www.clarkhoward.com

Nov 23, 2009 at 01:24 PM
Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Dear Bev,

It is amazing what an evil-inclined mind can come up with! Bad people are always out to get a sucker. Good work on you sleuthing! It is always helpful for the world's naive population to be made aware.

Fond regards,

Endre

Nov 23, 2009 at 06:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #11 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

shatterkiss wrote:
It's a very common scam. Next step is generally where they say they'll send either a check, wire transfer or Western Union of a dollar amount that exceeds your fee for the job, then ask you to pass the balance on to some third party for their fees. Your outbound payment leaves before your bank realizes that the deposit is fraudulent, so now you're on the hook for the money you sent out to the scammer.

+1. Also, they may say they are sending a dollar amount exceeding the fee and then ask you to return the difference to them. Either the check never comes (and you are only out the difference that you have sent), or the check comes and then it bounces, in which case you're responsible for the bounced check fee and the difference you've sent.

I usually delete any email that I suspect has a hint of broken English and comes from a third world country like Malaysia, which I admit is a bit insensitive, but in all honesty, someone with a name like "Joe J Akins" should be able to compose an email in colloquial English. I don't even bother to reply, I just delete. I do a lot of transactions over Craigslist (and before that Ebay) so I get emails like this all the time.

Nov 23, 2009 at 07:15 PM
Nick Baker
• •
p.1 #12 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Excuse me sirs but i was wondering if said item is still for sales. I amvery interest and would like to buy.

Nov 23, 2009 at 08:56 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I responded to the email that the OP listed. I love playing with scammers. The response is shown below. I responsed with a 4 hour rate of $500 and asked for half up front. Waiting on their next move.

Glad for your prompt response.I think I should be a little elaborate about the kind of photographic service we need perhaps this may assist you in making your cost analysis.Will 12pm time be available on your schedule ?. The event will take place in one location and shots will be taken both indoor and outdoor within the house garden with concentration on me,my wife,my daughter,my father/mother in-law and my mother.You will take group shots of family members of about 16 people and 4 children aged between 4yrs & 6yrs.Style of photography required could be a combination of both candid and traditional. A complete disk of images from the celebration will be required.
.You can go ahead and confirm our appointment for the date/hours requested and email to me the total cost and the exact amount of deposit required so that we know how we go from there

Regards
Joe John Akins

Nov 24, 2009 at 01:16 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I am speaking to you now in my very best English...I just want to be taking your money, please.

Nov 24, 2009 at 01:25 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Beverly, thanks form posting. I got the same but have been so busy did not think to check it out but assumed it was a scam.

Nov 25, 2009 at 04:24 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Latest update....After sending my prices to "Joe John Akins" I received the following reply....

The price quote is suitable. In order to hold our reservation,I will authorize a deposit payment to be mailed to you in US Money Order by my associate over there in US after I am in receipt of your full names to whom the payment will be made out and your address/phone number where you can receive the mail. Attached is a picture of me and my wife

Looking forward to your prompt response

Regards
Joe John Akins
Winery Headquarters
92 Jalan Keranji,
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

I have provided a name and address for Joe to send the US Money Order. Wonder why they would send a US Money Order. Any way, waiting to see what I receive in the mail. Cute couple eh? I wonder whose photo they are using.

In case you are wondering, the address does exist. Not sure what is there.

Nov 25, 2009 at 08:08 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #17 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I would take the MO then send off the "extra" on an old closed checking account check so that the check is no good. Make it a full circle.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Wickedfn4u wrote:
I would take the MO then send off the "extra" on an old closed checking account check so that the check is no good. Make it a full circle.

That would make you no better than them. I will play the game, but won't go that far.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #19 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I get about 10-15 emails a year from these types of people who say they got my info from the PPA website.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

During my last communication with "Joe" I gave him an address, but not a phone number. Here is his latest response...

I received your information, so I will let you know as soon as the payment is on the way to you.Have a great day,we are looking forward to receiving your service. Please email me the phone no to reach you on arrival. It was not included in your address
> Joe
> 01160173305450

Nov 27, 2009 at 05:33 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password