Upload & Sell: Off
| p.1 #4 · blind: Mennonite Wedding |
Wow... aren't the Mennonites incredibly camera shy?
"Why do Old Order Amish not like having their pictures taken?"
Old Order Amish and Mennonites forbid photography of their people, and their objection is based on the second commandment, Exodus 20:4: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth".
But then they also sponsor a photo contest...
Seems like a rare opportunity and adds a very interesting twist to the thread.
#1. Love the simplicity (of the dress and of the photo).
#3. Need a better hanger.
#4. Wish it had EXIF. Soft (most of the shots in this set are really soft and out of focus), but it almost works on their faces. But on his fingers it looks like lens shake. Long zoom, low light, slow shutter?
#11. Nice scene. Love the wavy haze in the background beyond the fence line.
#12. Very nice window lighting. I think her watch looks out of place in these photos.
#13. It'd be nice if the scene out the window was something more rustic and natural like trees, farm house, silo, horse and carriage, etc.
#14. Beautiful... I love the excited peek of the youngest one in the lower left... reminds me of my kids and their cousins at Christmas when they're looking out the window for Santa. Girl #3 detracts, but that's not something you can really control without ruining the candid spontaneity of these shots.
16. Crop out the furniture on the left and some on the right. Shadows are a little harsh... but it looks like the strobe was at least elevated. Maybe a simple ceiling bounce would be ideal here... low white ceiling.
17. Crop out the partial bridesmaid on the left. Crop just above the heads of the groomsmen on the top.
18. Crop out the clutter on the left. This is tough because if you're trying to maintain the aspect ratio you want to keep the horizontal beam of the cross, otherwise it looks odd behind the officiant. Consider a touch of Noise Ninja or Neat Image.
19. Motion blur. Crop out the wall on the left.
20. Crop tighter... lose the electrical outlet, but keep the lit candle. Keep the palms. Crop along the wood edge on the right.
22. Crop tight... go ahead and lose the guy and mic on the right.
29. I like this... sets the scene and the environment. I'd crop behind the 2nd wheel... lose the orange triangle reflector.
31. Nice smiles.
If it weren't for the rarity of the Mennonite subjects, this set wouldn't be as interesting.