Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

dennisgibson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

Is there a way to tell if a Nikon lens is a USA version if you don't have the original paperwork/receipt?

Apr 13, 2009 at 02:45 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

The box...if serial #'s match (5yr logo), on some of the better glass serial #'s start with USxxxxx that might be an indication.
My 85 f1.4 and 14-24 are like that. What's a 'monkey know, Den
There's a site with serial #'s somewhere with yr of manufacture...perhaps info available there.

Apr 13, 2009 at 02:50 PM
hoagie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

Alright....now I'm confused on this issue.

If you have a lens that has no paperwork and may be out of warranty anyway...what difference would it make. No paperwork (i.e. receipt) means no warranty right? Aren't the lens's physically the same?

Apr 13, 2009 at 03:39 PM
az-dave
• •
p.1 #4 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

hoagie wrote:
Alright....now I'm confused on this issue.

If you have a lens that has no paperwork and may be out of warranty anyway...what difference would it make. No paperwork (i.e. receipt) means no warranty right? Aren't the lens's physically the same?

Nikon USA will not repair a non US lens even if you are willing to pay for it. (I hear there is an exception if you can prove you purchased the lens while traveling out of the US). Authorized Photo Service ( http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/ ) will perform the repairs on non US lenses though.

Dave

Apr 13, 2009 at 03:49 PM
hoagie
• • •
p.1 #5 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

az-dave wrote:
Nikon USA will not repair a non US lens even if you are willing to pay for it. (I hear there is an exception if you can prove you purchased the lens while traveling out of the US). Authorized Photo Service ( http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/ ) will perform the repairs on non US lenses though.

Dave

I'm assuming then, that this is something that Nikon tracks by serial number?

Apr 13, 2009 at 04:10 PM
TWoK
• • • •
p.1 #6 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

Some lenses actually have a serial number that starts with US.

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:57 PM
thebac1

p.1 #7 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

trenchmonkey wrote:
The box...if serial #'s match (5yr logo), on some of the better glass serial #'s start with USxxxxx that might be an indication.
My 85 f1.4 and 14-24 are like that. What's a 'monkey know, Den
There's a site with serial #'s somewhere with yr of manufacture...perhaps info available there.

Actually, it's not better glass, it's newer glass.

For all newer lenses, the serial number starts with US if it's a US lens.

Unfortunately, it's not entirely clear how new a lens has to be (I believe that all AF-S and VR lenses are new enough; beyond that, I'm not so sure).

Apr 14, 2009 at 03:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

Hmmm, and yet to the right of the engraved nameplate on my new 200 f2 VR/300 f2.8 VR we get an oval Nikon/USA sticker.
Serial #'s only...no letters. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason here.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM
thebac1

p.1 #9 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Hmmm, and yet to the right of the engraved nameplate on my new 200 f2 VR/300 f2.8 VR we get an oval Nikon/USA sticker.
Serial #'s only...no letters. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason here.

I can't really afford the big guns so I didn't know that. Come to think of it, I used to own a 70-300 ED D lens that had the sticker on it as well.

You're probably right--not much rhyme or reason.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

Crazy huh? Guess it doesn't matter until ya go to fix or sell, eh?!

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #11 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

TWoK wrote:
Some lenses actually have a serial number that starts with US.

I agree. My 14-24 AF-s and 24-70 AF-s lens have serial numbers that start with US

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM
brotha bran
• • •
p.1 #12 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

The whole "US" at the beginning of serials thing is a fairly new implementation, so that only helps in rather limited scope.

I just went through this process a few months ago trying to figure out whether my newly acquired 300 f2.8 afs(1) was a US lens initially or import. After about 5 phone conversations with various levels of people at Nikon, I gave up. If the lens isn't fairly new, they aren't going to be able to tell you over the phone because their system only includes currently in-production models as far as I could gather.

I'd say just leave it be if it's not a big deal. If you don't have the paperwork I doubt you can repair it as a US lens anyways so it's not worth the searching.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:27 AM
hoagie
• • •
p.1 #13 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

brotha bran wrote:
The whole "US" at the beginning of serials thing is a fairly new implementation, so that only helps in rather limited scope.

I just went through this process a few months ago trying to figure out whether my newly acquired 300 f2.8 afs(1) was a US lens initially or import. After about 5 phone conversations with various levels of people at Nikon, I gave up. If the lens isn't fairly new, they aren't going to be able to tell you over the phone because their system only includes currently in-production models as far as I could gather.

I'd say
...Show more

How sad....
I have shot mainly with Leica/Leitz gear and have owned a couple of Canon pro bodies. I just recently purchased a Nikon D90 for personal use and have enjoyed the he!! out it. It's a capable little camera in a handy sized package. Was thinking of getting a few lenses to go with it...as I am getting ready to retire and will probably get rid of most of the German stuff and downsize (monetarily). However, a company with that attitude would be hard pressed to get my business.....I may have to check out Canon's new offerings instead.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM
kingmeow
• •
p.1 #14 · How to tell if lens is USA version?

hoagie,

It's not just Nikon but other companies in other areas too (e.g., high end watches, some stereo equipment manufacturers, etc.). Unfortunately you need to blame the renegade importers who created such a situation. They bypass regular channels to gain more money for themselves. Nikon is only protecting themselves and to some extent the consumers as some of the gray products do not have US manuals, etc.

If you buy the lens what's the big worry then? Also, there are other independent repair places that will do the repairs for money so you are not totally SOL should you decide to buy a gray lens.

Apr 15, 2009 at 02:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password