Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

jason martin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

I just got a request from a 16 year old girl who is aspiring to be a model and would like some portraits made.
She also mentioned she is interested in swimwear modeling.
What are my legal responsibilities to this young person?
Please post an answer only if you have experience in this subject matter.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:21 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Parents sign off, no exception. Would help to have one there, and an adult there for you, too, at the shoot.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:24 PM
Seth Tower
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Well, a model release form is obvious.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:24 PM
jason martin

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Thanks for responding. I will have at least one adult assistant with me. I figured that I might need to have parents sign off. I was not sure if that is required if the shoot is not being used commercially.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:34 PM
eonflux
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Most definitely have one of her parents present, not to mention someone "on your side". It's the only way to insure a smooth and benificial shoot for both you and your prospective client.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:36 PM
Justin Berman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Legally speaking, no release is necessary unless you want to retain rights to post the photos/use them as stock/etc.

Anyone who is a minor cannot sign their own model release, hence you have to have the parents sign it as they are her legal guardian.

I have shot numerous models under 18, and I have releases for all of them.

Remember, unless you are already a famous artist, no nudity, and implied should likely be kept to a minimum. If you are a famous artist, you seem to be able to get away with shooting just about anything and calling it art.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:37 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Although it is scary to think what direction we are going in, to my knowledge there is still no law against photographing a young woman in a bathing suit. I am sure that if Republicans get their way, it will be illegal eventually.

Edited on Sep 11, 2008 at 04:38 PM

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:37 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Plenty of 16 year olds do high fashion in heavily implied outfits/bathing suits/topless (using hands, hair)/etc. If the parents give consent, then it really doesn't matter..they may not even HAVE to, but I sure wouldn't come near that idea with a 15 ft boom.

Edited on Sep 11, 2008 at 04:50 PM

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:48 PM
jason martin

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

This individual seems to be serious about a modeling career and I don't want to just brush her off.
I follow eonflux's and jeremy's advice. will ask that a parent be present. Thank you all.

Sep 11, 2008 at 04:55 PM
farley
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

How does she know you? Why did she choose you? Have you ever met her parents? Have you ever shot her? Does she plan on submitting pics to someone? If so who? jeremy clay is right there are plenty of models that start out in their early teens. I would think that those who do start out with a plan. The other thing to consider is the impact on your business. Her parents may agree, but what about other parents. She will show pics and if they are considered "to Adult" other parents may not use you.

Sep 11, 2008 at 05:09 PM

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Get a release consent from the parents, and try your hardest to have one (or both) of the parents at the shooting.

Sep 11, 2008 at 05:13 PM
4honor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

I had two 17 year olds contacted me, and I was a bit worried too. But I think the responses that I got is just make sure you have her parents and an adult on your side, like an assistant, so that nothing is bad. As far as releases go, I use it on everyone I shoot.

Sep 11, 2008 at 05:36 PM
Gunslinger
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

I am working with a 16 yr old right now. Mom comes to every shoot.

Sep 11, 2008 at 05:49 PM
Daniel K
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

If you have a young girl wanting to model, the best thing you could do is introduce her to someone that knows the industry. I used to coach and teach modeling and I can tell you that 90% of the meetings I had resulted in them not wanting to model anymore. Depends on your area, the demograph, the industry and many other variables. For some it is about just looking the part and knowing how to pose, for higher end models they need to know lighting, how they look, how to follow vauge directions and act out what the director/photographer wants. I used to have models come in thinking they will be "discovered" and be the next top model and they learn real fast being a diva wont cut it and that there is a LOT more to it than they thought, yes, it IS work!

If you want to help her out with building a portfolio, do what you do.

If you want to help her learn about what modeling is, get to know some people in the industry in your area and find out how it is run and what it takes for your area.
I dont know your background with modeling, but think of it in the way that you could be a photographer trying to also play the part of a modeling coach/manager without knowing what you are doing, because I know we all gripe about the modeling coach/manager that THINKS they can also be the photographer when they really dont know what they are doing with a camera. I'm sure most of you will know what I'm talking about with that, kinda like the wedding coodinator with a 1st gen digital rebel that doubles as a pro photographer.

Edited on Sep 11, 2008 at 06:18 PM

Sep 11, 2008 at 06:17 PM
Geoff Wilde
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

I shot a 15 yr old daughter of friends- Dad was there. Daughter was in jeans and a T, then shorts and a T. Dad made sure no one bothered her when she changed (in the car) with me about 300 yrds away. I absolutely made sure there was no hint of danger for anyone. I did not have anyone on "my side" but these are friends of the family. I also got a release, signed by dad. You've seen the work here- Erika's shots.

I've done younger kids too, and insist that a parent ALWAYS be present, including when they change outfits.

Sep 11, 2008 at 06:24 PM
Hendrik
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

I did a lingerie shoot with a 15-year old girl in the past. I called her mother for permission before the shoot. Her boyfriend and my wife (also the MUA) were present during the shoot.

After I delivered the pictures, I also made them sign a model release form with both the model and a parents signature.

It's a pity times are changing to a paranoid society, especially in the US and more and more also other western countries.

Sep 11, 2008 at 08:04 PM
Hendrik
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Justin Berman wrote:

Remember, unless you are already a famous artist, no nudity, and implied should likely be kept to a minimum. If you are a famous artist, you seem to be able to get away with shooting just about anything and calling it art.

Oh, this is SO true!

A while ago a parent asked if I could make artistic nude pictures of her two year old daughter. I came with a better idea and just made all clothed pictures. ... but I also was thinking 'why not?' I have seen great artistic nudes of children and wonder why can I not do this also?

Up until this moment I only made clothed pictures of children, I think I don't even have one single nude of my own children! We live in very disturbing times, were normal photographers get destroyed because other disturbed people think you did something wrong.

Sep 11, 2008 at 08:11 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

Geoff Wilde wrote:
I've done younger kids too, and insist that a parent ALWAYS be present

Sep 11, 2008 at 08:29 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

elliotkramer wrote:
Although it is scary to think what direction we are going in, to my knowledge there is still no law against photographing a young woman in a bathing suit. I am sure that if Republicans get their way, it will be illegal eventually.

May be no law for that specific act, but one would have to be extremely naive to imagine that there are no potential liabilities associated with it. A bomb waiting to explode more like!

...And if the Dems get there way, it will be taxed and the wealthy will subsidize the poor in their attempts to do it. [Sorry, couldn't resist! ]

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM
askani1

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Teen Model legal responsibilites

I was shooting last week on the beach with an 18 yr old and the harbormaster called the police thinking she was underage. A few ID and release checks and we were left alone but i wonder what would have happened if she was underage.

In this day and age all it takes is an accusation to do a ton of damage. Always best to cover your butt...and hers too if shes 16

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password