|Cookies - Back|
1) What is a cookie? - Back
Cookies are pieces of information generated by a Web server and stored in the user's computer, ready for future access. Cookies are embedded in the HTML information flowing back and forth between the user's computer and the servers. Cookies were implemented to allow user-side customization of Web information. For example, cookies are used to personalize Web search engines, to allow users to participate in WWW-wide contests, and to store shopping lists of items a user has selected while browsing through a virtual shopping mall.
Essentially, cookies make use of user-specific information transmitted by the Web server onto the user's computer so that the information might be available for later access by itself or other servers. In most cases, not only does the storage of personal information into a cookie go unnoticed, so does access to it. Web servers automatically gain access to relevant cookies whenever the user establishes a connection to them, usually in the form of Web requests.
2) Are cookies neccessary to use this forum? - Back
If you wish to login and be authenticated, then is absolutely necessary for your browser to be able to accept cookies. This is true of most sites you visit that require logins.
3) I do not have cookies enabled on my computer, how to I set my browser to accept them? - Back
All browsers are different and have different ways to setup. However, they almost always have cookie options available through editing the browser options, then under a security setting.
You would need to make sure that cookies are accepted. For specifics on your personal browser please consult your browser's online documentation.
4) I have cookies enabled on my system but am unable to login. When I try, it says I am an active user, but am shown the same login page again. - Back
Try deleting your cookies, closing down your browser then logging in again.
5) How do I clear my cookies? - Back
This is really another browser specfic problem, but in newer versions of Internet Explorer, you would click on Tools->Internet Options->Delete Cookies.
6) I am clearing my cookies but it is still not logging me in! What's going on? - Back
The most likely answer is that there is a problem with the Forum Settings and that the Forum URL is not set properly.
7) I am using IE and am trying to login to a forum that is located in a frame of another, seperate domain and am unable to login. Why? - Back